New England Coastal BIrds

New England Coastal BIrds

Tuesday, October 1, 2024

 While I am sorting out all my images from my recent Alaska trip, I figured I would post some images of  a few Alcids and Waterfowl from the last few years. As I wrote...... I haven't posted anything on my blog for quite some time; I am still a little rusty! 

The images were taken in various locations throughout New England, which will be noted with the images. These Razorbill images were taken at MacMillan's Wharf in Provincetown, which is my favorite location in my area to look for birds, especially Alcids! Usually in the later winter from late November to March you can usually find a Razorbill or two, or a bunch, a Thick-billed Murre or two, Dovekies in singles and small groups, and Black Guillemot...... singles and multiples. Even an rare Arctic ssp. of Black Guillemot (ssp. mandtii). The later in the winter season the better chances for the Murres and Dovekie. 

My wife and I usually make at least 3- 10 visits to Cape Cod and Provincetown (about 3 hours from our home) a winter. This one morning in late November our timing couldn't be better. Just as we arrived on the pier at first light, we were greeted by a several dozen Razorbill all throughout the harbor. The birds mingled through and under the docks and main pier..... the close-up photo opportunities were endless!













I had just finished making a group of Razorbill decoys for a Biologist who would be using the decoys for his field work and studies. Before I handed them over to him, I wanted to make sure they floated properly and had the correct "Razorbill" gestalt and features that made them look as realistic birds on the water, Since the ultimate goal was to deploy them and attract the birds to them, I brought them with me hoping that there were a few Razorbill in the harbor by the pier that day. I floated them off one of the small docks and waited for (hopefully) good results! 







                                                           Thick-billed Murre

When it gets to be late January, February and early March, you can usually get lucky seeing a Thick-billed Murre or several at MacMillan's Wharf. This one was very accommodating for the camera at MacMillan's. It flew in from outside the harbor breakwater and landed under the pier. Since it was low tide, it was easy to get a look under the pier by walking down the Boston Ferry dock located at the end of the pier. The murre took a snooze under the pier huddled next to a piling for about an hour. After its nap, it came out from under the pier and just swam around and preened.... all in close range of my camera!















I photographed this Thick-billed Murre in March at Jodrey's Fish Pier in Gloucester, Mass. This one seemed quite content resting the day away by this boat mooring buoy.- 






One of the many Common Murre I photographed in the last few years. This bird was photographed off Coxes Ledge, 35 miles south/southeast of Rhode Island from he deck of the cod fishing boat, the Gale Frances in January. 


 









          This continues..............